Welcome to my Crafting Blog! I'm an avid Stamper, Scrapbooker and all things Crafty! I'm looking forward to sharing my crafting adventures with you!

Friday, August 3, 2012

Crate AKA Stadium Seats - Phase 1

So continuing on my crafting journey this summer and the next stop are some adorable crate seats for my Interactive Theater area.  I am calling these my Stadium Seating.  Woohoo!  Got this fabulous idea from Pinterest, of course!  This is my inspiration.  I have seen other ideas where you make the crate more of a storage container and a seat all in one.  However with my 5th graders, I worry about the strength, so I'm doing as this blogger did and turning my crate upside down and attaching my wood to the bottom.



They aren't complete yet but here is my progress so far.

Step 1: Buy 6 Crates from Target - I even got them on sale!
Step 2: Select Fabric - Got a nice lime green solid fabric from Joann's - 40% off too!
Step 3: Buy other materials - Foam, Spray Adhesive (have already), Sand Paper - I ended up getting a Foam Mattress Pad.  Much cheaper.  However, I got a full when I probably could have gotten away with a Twin.
Step 4: Buy and Cut Plywood - I got a 1/2" piece of plywood at Home Depot.  I had to buy a whole sheet.  FYI a whole sheet will make you about 18 crates.  So I have extra.  About $1 a seat if anyone wants it.  But they cut it for free for me.  So that was nice.
Step 5:  Get to Work.



So I started by sanding all of my plywood.  I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it.  Just gave all the edges a quick go over.  Next I cut my foam and used spray adhesive to stick it to the plywood.  I cut the foam a little bigger than I needed so that I had some wiggle room attaching it.  Finally it's sitting letting the glue set in a pile.  While it's setting, I'm blogging.

So far tonight I've spent about 45 minutes on this project.  My next step tonight is to try to attach the fabric using a glue gun or my E6000 glue.  I decided against staples mostly because I don't have a staple gun and I don't really want to buy something else.  We shall see how that works out.  I might be getting a staple gun tomorrow. ;)

Stay Tuned for more Updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...