Welcome to my Crafting Blog! I'm an avid Stamper, Scrapbooker and all things Crafty! I'm looking forward to sharing my crafting adventures with you!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Read Across America

So this post isn't necessarily a craft post......but here goes!

I always loved Read Across America day as a teacher.  It was always fun to break out Dr. Seuss and use him in the classroom.  I always used Hooray for Diffendoofer Day prior to MSA testing and The Lorax around Earth Day, but RAA gave me a reason to use all of his others for fun activities and crafts.

My last year as a classroom teacher....good ol' 2007.....I taught fourth grade.  Our school in honor of Read Across America was having a Decorate your Door Contest.  Each classroom had to decorate their door with their favorite story.  Well I didn't have a door so I decorated the wall at the entrance to my room.

The kids voted on their favorite story, they chose Oh the Places You Will Go!  Then we decided to make mini hot air balloons for each child.  I took their photos behind a chair and then had them developed....good old 35 mm film days.  Each child cut out their photo and put it in their balloon basket and decorated their balloon to their liking.  We added cotton balls for clouds and string and used cups and strings to make our balloons more realistic and 3-Dimensional.

Then as a class we created a remake of the story using my students as the characters in the story.

Our Door Won!  The kids were so pleased!  I have to say this is one of those teacher projects that I'm most proud of.





So why am I posting this......well I'm addicted to Pinterest and I keep seeing all these great Dr. Seuss ideas and I have to share! =)  It was fun reminiscing and hopefully you enjoyed reading about it. 

1 comment:

  1. this is ADORABLE!!!!!! only you would think of something soooo creative! WWCC in da house!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...